We appreciate your interest in the Home School Education Ministry of Frederick Christian Academy. Frederick Christian Academy is recognized by the State of Maryland as a valid home school umbrella program. Our primary responsibility is to assure that you, the home school parents, are providing regular, thorough instruction to your children.
The Home School Education Ministry of Frederick Christian Academy exists to strengthen and equip Christian families who home school their children through Christ-centered training.
Mission and Vision
- Support Christian families that desire to provide an alternative education for their children through home schooling. This includes accountability, encouragement, and consulting.
- Encourage and develop biblical sanctification in Christian families.
- Provide umbrella protection according to the Annotated Code of Maryland Title 13A.10.01.
Minimum Requirements and Services
- Fill out an application form and return it to the Frederick Christian Academy school office. An application fee of $30 per student should be included with the form.
- Notify the State of Maryland via a “Home Schooling Notification” form when you join the home school umbrella group. You will need to complete one form per child. Frederick Christian Academy will not be held responsible if this form is not filed.
- Maintain a portfolio for each child containing Objectives and Methods, a Curriculum List, a Reading List, test results, and weekly sample of each student’s work per subject, dated and in order. This portfolio helps the parents to stay in compliance with the law, and allows the parents and the student to see gradual progress. Parents should keep the portfolios updated on a weekly basis.
- Provide grade records for our records at the end of each quarter. The end of the quarter dates will be similar to the quarters of FCA. Grades should be mailed to the Home School Coordinator or dropped by the school office.
- Frederick Christian Academy’s Home School Education Ministry will review your curriculum and portfolio on a semi-annual basis. You should call the school office to schedule your appointments in January and June. Reports will be used to evaluate the progress of the home school training.
- Courses: Students in the 7th – 12th grade may take up to three classes on campus. Students desiring to take more than three classes should enroll as a full-time student of Frederick Christian Academy.
- Athletics: Frederick Christian Academy operates an interscholastic sports program. This program is available for students enrolled in the Home School Education Ministry in grades 6-12. Participation is based on available space and/or a successful tryout. All students are required to obtain a physical before practicing. Home school students must abide by FCA dress code and behavioral standards at all school functions.
- Testing: Students may take the Stanford Achievement Tests with the students of FCA. Students in the 10th and 11th grade may also take the PSAT test in the fall.
- Fine Arts: Students enrolled in the Home School Education Ministry have the opportunity to participate in fine arts competition in the spring. Competition in music, Bible memory, and other areas will be available. This service is included in your enrollment fee.
- Field Trips: Field trips are taken by individual classes throughout the school year. Elementary field trips will be announced on a monthly basis. A signed permission slip must be completed and the cost for each field trip will vary. Parents of elementary children must accompany the class as a chaperone. High school field trips are grade related. School behavior and dress code apply at all times when on campus or participating in any FCA activity.
- Chapel: Students enrolled in the home school program are invited to participate in chapel on a weekly basis.
- Application Fee – $30 per student
- Enrollment Fee – $175 for the 1st child; $125 for each additional child
- Course Fee (Jr. High and High School) – $350.00 per semester
- Athletic Fee (Jr. High and High School) – $95.00 per sport
- Testing Fee (PSAT/Stanford Achievement Testing) — $25.00 per student