The mission of Frederick Christian Academy is to assist parents in educating their children in accordance with Biblical principles by providing high quality spiritual and academic programs while encouraging students to live Christ-centered lives.
Frederick Christian Academy opened in September of 1974 with about 80 students in grades kindergarten through eight under the leadership of Carl Chewning. Mr. Chewning was the administrator of Heritage Academy of Hagerstown, Maryland. Heritage Academy gave Mr. Chewning time during the 1973-74 school year to organize Frederick Christian Academy, knowing that he would be the new administrator. Frederick Christian Academy opened as an independent school, although it was legally under the authority of the Locust Valley Bible Church, Rev. Curvin Stambaugh, Pastor.
Midway through the 1975-76 school year Mr. Chewning resigned, and the Rev. Roger L. Salomon became school administrator. During Mr. Salomon’s ministry the school was legally placed under the authority of the People’s Baptist Church, Inc., Rev. Arnold G. Cooper, Pastor, and an eleven-room classroom educational building was erected in 1978 on the 22-acre campus of the church. The school had been located on North Market Street Extended since 1974.
In 1980 the first class was graduated from Frederick Christian Academy, and Mr. Salomon announced his resignation. He was followed by Rev. David Staples. During Mr. Staples’s ministry a four classroom high school building was added, connecting the existing school building and the church building. Mr. Staples resigned in 1983, and Mr. Robert W. Becker was appointed school administrator.
Mr. Becker resigned in 1985, and Rev. Roger Salomon was asked to return and became school director on July 1, 1985. In 1987 Frederick Christian Academy began a pre-school program. In 1988 Rev. Arnold G. Cooper, pastor of People’s Baptist Church for sixteen years, resigned. In May, 1989, Rev. Michael E. Davidson was called as the pastor of the church. Ground was broken for a gymnasium addition in September of 1990. Rev. H. Robert Thompson became the Director of Academic Affairs on August 1, 1990. During the summer of 1991 a summer day camp program began for children in kindergarten through grade eight and was later expanded to include a pre-school program. This program continued in operation through 2007.
Mr. Roger Salomon resigned as administrator of Frederick Christian Academy in 1998, and Rev. Bradley D. Fleming was called to serve as the school’s fifth administrator. Mrs. Kathy Gerard rejoined the administrative staff in 1999 and served as assistant administrator, pre-school and elementary principal until 2008.
During the summer and fall of 2000, a two-classroom modular unit was erected to provide for continued expansion of two-section classes throughout the elementary school. In January of 2005, the work was completed on a commercial kitchen addition adjacent to the gymnasium.
In September 2007 Rev. Michael Davidson resigned as senior pastor of People’s Baptist Church after serving for nineteen years. As Rev. Bradley Fleming stepped away from the school after ten years as its administrator to serve as interim pastor, Dr. Braden Parker became the sixth administrator of Frederick Christian Academy.
In April 2018, after serving as administrator from 2007-2018, Dr. Braden Parker resigned to become the Administrative Pastor of a church in North Carolina. Mr. David Lavoie was called to serve as FCA's 7th administrator.
- To teach every student enrolled an understanding of God, the priority that should be accorded His Word, and the responsibility that every person has to Him as Creator and Redeemer.
- To enable each student enrolled to develop both natural and spiritual gifts and talents with the understanding that the highest goal of mankind is to use these gifts and talents to worship and to glorify God.
- To develop within each student a level of basic skills achievement that will support successful functioning as a citizen of the kingdom of God and successful functioning as a citizen of this nation.
- To provide both curricular and instructional systems that will enable any student to achieve at levels that will prepare him/her to enter the next level of education chosen, whatever the academic rigor demanded.
- To leave each student enrolled with a strong sense of right and wrong, to make him aware of the spiritual blessing that comes from doing right, and to warn each student of the many wrongs that now characterize our culture and the negative consequences to be borne by those who choose those wrongs.
- We believe the Bible to be the verbally inspired and inerrant Word of God and our absolute and final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the unity of the Godhead, eternally existent in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the absolute deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the distinct personality of Satan as the unholy god of this age, author of the powers of darkness and sin, and destined to the eternal judgment of the lake of fire.
- We believe that God created the heavens and the earth, including all life, by direct act and not by any process of evolution.
- We believe that man, in the person of Adam, was created in innocence but by voluntary transgression fell into sin, thus plunging the whole human race into condemnation and death.
- We believe that man is born in sin and is therefore separated from God and in need of a savior.
- We believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross as a voluntary substitutionary sacrifice for the sins of the whole world and that He rose from the dead bodily and ascended into Heaven, where He is now our Mediator and High Priest.
- We believe that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone is the only condition of salvation from sin. This salvation is wholly by grace. No works, however good, make the salvation more secure.
- We believe that once saved, the believer is eternally secure in Christ and can never again be lost.
- We believe that those who die in the Lord are absent from the body but consciously present with the Lord.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust, in the eternal conscious punishment of the lost and the eternal joy of the saved.
FCA QUICK FACTS
Student-to-Teacher Ratio – 1:8
Faculty – 18 full-and part-time faculty & staff
Preschool – 3's & 4's half-day/full-day
K-6th Grade School Hours – 8:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m
7th-12th Grade School Hours – 8:15 a.m to 3:10 p.m
Before/After Care – 7:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m.
Accreditation – American Association of Christian Schools (AACS)
Parent Church – People's Baptist Church
QUICK LINKS: RESOURCES
“I have been sending my daughter, Kennedy, to FCA for 10 years. Not only has my daughter developed close relationships with the faculty and staff, but I have as well. As a parent, I feel confident that the staff and faculty encourage my child to live a Christ-centered life. The values, morals and principles are the foundation of the teaching aspect at FCA. At FCA, we are not just students or parents; we are family. I could not imagine sending Kennedy to a different school. FCA has been a blessing to us.” - Ruth Thompson
“Our daughter has been enrolled in Frederick Christian Academy since ninth grade, and she will graduate this year. She has received an education far superior to anything offered in public school, and she has also participated in the school’s outstanding sports program. FCA’s teachers, coaches, and administrative staff are the finest we have ever been associated with, and they truly care about the students. We highly recommend FCA to any family looking for an alternative to public education.” - Bill and Kristine Wilkes
“We appreciate the devotion that is given to each student by the administration, faculty, and staff. Every child is made to feel special and is encouraged to grow spiritually and academically.” - Daniel and Heidi Krupicka“Frederick Christian Academy is a phenomenal school. My son started Kindergarten at FCA and I was so impressed. This is his second year at the school and I am still pleased. He has grown academically and spiritually. The faculty and staff are excellent and spiritually blessed. Each student is treated as a unique individual. I would highly recommend FCA to prospective parents who would like a well-rounded education for their child/children.” - Yatta Quire
“My daughter attends Frederick Christian Academy. She’s only 4; however, she attended two previous schools and was not excited about going to school. She’s upset now when she can’t go to FCA on the weekends. She loves her school. The curriculum is outstanding; she even quotes her Bible verses. The staff is very, very friendly and very supportive. FCA provides a wonderful, safe, and encouraging learning environment.” - Jenise Harris
“We have two children enrolled at Frederick Christian Academy and we are so pleased with the education they are receiving. There is an attitude of respect that is fostered in this school – respect for oneself, respect for other students, respect for teachers, and respect for the Lord. In addition, we believe the children are really learning how to be good students – to be responsible, to be forward-thinking, and to be proud of their work. Lastly, our children are just happy kids attending FCA and we are so thankful for this school.” - Bill and Michelle Stanton